Sunday, December 16, 2012

Character I-Remembers


Name:
Composition
Ms. Hoffmann
Date:
Literary Adaptation and Memoir

            For this class we are going to return to some memoir writing.  You will be following the same types of memoir conventions that we reviewed in our first unit, but this time you will be writing from the point of view of the literary character you have chosen.  In order to successfully complete these, you should refer to the character sketch that you completed last class.  (If you have not completed the character sketch, you should do this first and complete this assignment for homework).  Write with this information in mind.  Refer to the story from which your character originates, and write phrases that use the same type of tone, sentence structure, and vocabulary as your character as you respond to at least two of the I-Remember prompts listed below. 
           
Grading Criteria:
*Answer at least two of the questions
*Answer in a manner that is thorough enough to illustrate that you have been on task. 
*Illustrate a sincere attempt to take up and maintain the voice of your chosen character (not your voice).
 *Spellcheck and proofread your work. 

I-Remember Prompts
(Choose at least three to write about.  Remember that you are writing in the voice of your chosen character).

1.      “Give me a memory of your mother, aunt, or grandmother.  If it’s an aunt, say her name; for example, ‘I remember my aunt Gladys…”  Be detailed.” (6). 

2.      “Tell me some details about an uncle or a grandfather.  Make sure to name the uncle: ‘I remember Uncle Phil…’” (38). 

3.      “Tell me something.  It doesn’t have to be the traditional subjects.  How about how to tie a shoe, be a good mother, how to clean the refrigerator, make pudding, change a tire?  Something that is deep in your bones—driving in rush hour on the I-94 to work each day” (38).

4.      “Give me a picture of a teacher you had” (7). 

5.      Write about something that seems ordinary to you (123).

Prompts adapted from: Goldberg, Natalie.  Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir.  New York: Free Press, 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment