1. Read through three of the following blogs (listed at the end of this post) to get an idea of what you are going to be asked to do for this assignment. (Note: While all of these are exemplars from the last time I taught this unit, each blog has things that it could improve upon. Additionally, some of the students also took some parts of their blogs done as they used their GMail accounts for other things throughout the year. We will talk more about specific requirements for this class as you start this unit.)
- You will need to be able to pick apart the character's characterization in order to:
- Write from this character's point of view
- Create a profile for the character--as they would create it, not necessarily as others would view him or her (whichever blogsite you choose will need to have this functionality, or you will need to create a profile post)
- Incorporate other pieces media that relate to this character
2. Think about whether you think that you will be able to complete this task for the character that you have chosen. Today would be a good day for you to switch books if you believe it will be necessary.
3. Think about which site you want to use for your blog. Most of my past students chose to use blogspot, which you can see from the examples has limited functionality for design. Wordpress has some greater functionality, but sometimes, can be a bit more difficult to use.
Sample Blogs to View:
-Jonathan from Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull--http://livingstonjonathan.blogspot.com/
-Pamela from John Buchan's The 39 Steps http://pamelaedwards-hannay.blogspot.com/
-Mrs. Twit from Roald Dahl's The Twits http://ihatesmallfurryanimals.blogspot.com/
-Allie from Nicholas Spark's The Notebook http://talkmethroughthis.blogspot.com/
-Misty from Kristopher Reisz's Unleashed http://misty-sandlin.blogspot.com/
-Mashiro from Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata's Bakuman http://mutoashirogi.wordpress.com/
-The Cat in the Hat from Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat http://hatwearingcat.wordpress.com